Photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket   Photobucket

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thankful Thursday • Linky Parties and Blog Buttons : Google It

I know.  Who doesn't love Google, right?  Well, I am the type of person who likes to self teach myself.  I like the fact that I don't have to go to a class with an instructor to hold me by the hand.  Although, I will admit that I could benefit from that for certain things, but I really like the fact that I can sit on my bed, couch or at the table on my lap top...and it's FREE!  Thanks to Google and it's wealth of tutorials and brilliant bloggers out there!

Since I am new to the craft blogging world, I have been prying around out in the blogosphere to see what I like and don't like.  What's everyone doing?  I want to make my blog more unique (without reinventing the wheel).  More my style.  I am no web designer, so I love that I can just type in to Google what I am looking to do and Voila!

For example, I wanted to make a button for my blog.  Did you notice it on my right side bar?  I also wanted to create the text box under it for those who want my button to put on their blog to be able to copy and paste the html code.  I came across this great tutorial on how to make a blog button at Oikology 101.


Why do I want a button for my blog?  I started participating in some linky parties, and I have been grabbing everyone else's buttons for their blogs, that I thought, "Hey!  Maybe someone will like my blog enough to grab my button!  Plus, I've said before I love buttons!  This is just a different kind of button, but cute all the same!

I am new to the linky party business, and I love the concept!  For those of you who don't know what a linky party is, I'm sure you could google "What is a linky party?"  Or I could just tell you :)  A linky party is where a blogger hosts a party called a linky party for other bloggers to contribute content their blog.  These other bloggers can post a picture with a link to their own blog post on the blogger's site that is hosting the party.  This gives exposure to these other bloggers' blogs.  In return for getting exposure, the other bloggers will "link back" to the party host's blog by adding the party host's button which has a link back to the party host's blog embedded in the html code of the button.  Why does all this matter?  1.  It gives the other bloggers exposure, and 2.  It helps the party host's blog's SEO (search engine optimization).

Back to why I'm thankful for Google.  Since I am new to the linky parties, I wanted to know, "Is there linky party etiquette?"  I saw that all the different linky parties had rules to follow for those participating, and one in particular said it was tacky to participate in more than one linky party for the same blog post.  Oops!  Guilty!  I wanted to see if that statement was common knowledge, so I googled "linky party etiquette."  I came across a fabulous analogy at the blog CrafterMinds that helped me understand much better!  The author relates a linky party to a dinner party.   Clever!

Linky parties are fun, especially when everyone follows directions and doesn't just link up on people's parties to show off their stuff and not visit anyone else's blogs that have linked up.  Plus it's a great way to meet other crafters, get inspired and find things I want to pin on Pinterest!  Check out all the linky parties I participate in.

With all that being said, I am thankful for Google for once again teaching me something new.  I'm sure I'll be thankful for Google a lot as I learn the in's and out's of craft blogging!


Thanks for reading,

Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave me a comment! I LOVE your feedback!!